Saturday, February 5, 2011

Etched Mirror


I used etching cream to create the foggy effect on the edges of this mirror, and a stencil cut from packing tape to create the design of curving lines

I made a frame using 6 rectangular mirrors:

Each mirror is 7 X 3

I drew the design that i wanted to etch onto the mirrors on paper. Then i covered each mirror with packing tape and drew the design onto the mirrors. 

Its a little hard to see but these mirrors were each covered with packing tape before I drew on them with sharpie
I used an exacto knife to cut the design out of the packing tape, and then i peeled off the tape around the edges creating a stencil.
Cutting out the stencil

Peeling off the tape around the design 


 Once i finished cutting the stencils out the mirrors were ready to be etched (I used Armour Etch glass etching cream). I applied the cream, let it sit for 5 minutes, and then rinsed it off.  

Applying the Etching Cream
This is what the frame looked like when i was done etching the pieces
The center piece is a 7x8 piece of mirror that i got from a glass and mirror shop. I just gave them the dimensions and they cut it for me.

I still have to connect all the pieces and mount them on something (I'm thinking a piece of wood) so I'll Post again when I'm all finished


1 comment:

  1. Ummm will you make me one! haha but seriously it's so pretty and I could definitely see myself putting it in my apartment. love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete